Qualifying Life Events
Laws governing the benefits plans offered through UNCG stipulate that no changes can be made to coverage at any time except during an annual enrollment period, unless the employee experiences a qualified family status change.
The following events are considered family status changes:
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Legal separation
- Death of an employee, spouse, or dependent
- Disability of spouse
- Spouse’s voluntary or involuntary job loss
- Spouse’s involuntary medical coverage loss
- Spouse’s employer is having open enrollment period
- Dependent becomes eligible or ineligible for dependent status
Employees MUST notify the UNCG Benefits Office within 30 days of a family status change or forfeit their right to modify their coverage. Changes go into effect the first day of the month following the date the form is signed. If you qualify under one of these reasons and want to make a change to your insurance and need assistance, please contact the Benefits office at 334-5009.
Note: Employees, their spouses, or their dependents may become eligible to continue their health or dental insurance coverage for up to 36 months under COBRA coverage due to certain family status changes.