What You Need to Know About Enrolling for 2024 Benefits
Open Enrollment runs from October 9 to October 27, 2023. As you begin to think about your benefits, here are instructions on where to enroll and make changes.
KNOW WHERE TO GO
As you may recall, you had to access two enrollment platforms—eBenefits (Benefitfocus) and UNC (Empyrean) to make your 2023 benefit elections. This fall during Open Enrollment you will continue to have access to both platforms, but you will only use eBenefits (Benefitfocus) to make your 2024 elections for health coverage through the State Health Plan. You will use the UNC (Empyrean) platform to make all other 2024 benefit elections, including all NCFlex and UNC System benefits.
ACCESSING THE ENROLLMENT PLATFORMS IS EASY
You will be able to link to both of the enrollment plaforms-eBenefits(Benefitfocus) and UNC(Empyrean)- for your institution from the enrollment page on the UNC System Human Resources site (https://myapps.northcarolina.edu/hr/benefits-leave/health-and-welfare-benefits/health-benefits-enrollment)
|eBenefits (Benefitfocus)||UNC (Empyrean)|
|You will need to log in to this platform to enroll/make changes to your elections for:||You will go here to enroll in/make changes to your elections for:|
|* Health through the State Health Plan|
In addition, you will go here to answer your tobacco attestation
if you elect to enroll for health coverage under the State Health Plan
and want to receive the wellness credit.
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* UNC Life Insurance
* UNC Voluntary AD&D
* UNC Supplemental Disability
* Cancer and Specified Disease
* Critical Illness
* TRICARE Supplement coverage
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- If you are currently enrolled in Dental, Vision, Accident, and TRICARE Supplement coverage through NCFlex, your current elections will automatically roll over to the UNC (Empyrean) platform and remain in effect for 2024. We recommend you log into the UNC (Empyrean) platform during Open Enrollment to confirm your coverage converted correctly. You can also make changes to your coverage if needed.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) require re-enrollment every year, so your benefit election from last year will not roll over to the UNC (Empyrean) platform. If you want to participate in either of the FSAs, you must make an election on the UNC (Empyrean) platform during Open Enrollment.
- Any elections you made through the UNC (Empyrean) enrollment platform last year—UNC life insurance, UNC voluntary AD&D, UNC supplemental disability, cancer and specified disease, and critical illness—will remain in effect for 2024 unless you decide to make a change during Open Enrollment.
- If you enrolled in the Enhanced PPO Plan (80/20) through the State Health Plan during 2023 and want to participate in that option in 2024, you must enroll for coverage on the eBenefits (Benefitfocus) platform during Open Enrollment.
- If you want to reduce your premium under any of the plans offered by the State Health Plan, you MUST complete your tobacco attestation on the eBenefits (Benefitfocus) platform. If you fail to take action during Open Enrollment, you will not receive the $60 monthly wellness credit in 2024.
REMINDER ABOUT QUALIFIED LIFE EVENTS (QLE)
If you experience a QLE, you have 30 days to enroll and/or make changes to your elections. The platform you use to process your QLE will depend on when you experience the event as well as the type of benefit coverage you need to change.
- If the event occurs before December 1, 2023, you will use eBenefits (Benefitfocus) for health, dental, vision, accident, FSAs, and TRICARE Supplement coverage changes. You will use UNC (Empyrean) for UNC voluntary life insurance and AD&D, UNC supplemental disability, cancer and specified disease, and critical illness coverage changes.
- If the event occurs on or after December 1, 2023, you will use eBenefits (Benefitfocus) for health coverage changes. You will use UNC (Empyrean) for all other coverage changes.
If you are unsure of which platform to use, contact HR Benefits at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or 336-334-5009.