Full-time permanent, probationary, trainee and time-limited employees are eligible for leave at the rate of twelve days a year. Part-time (half-time or more) permanent, probationary, trainee and time-limited employees are eligible for leave at a prorated amount. Temporary, intermittent, and part-time (less than half-time) are not eligible for leave.
- Sick leave for eligible twelve month faculty and EHRA non-faculty is governed by state regulations on sick leave, which entitles employees to twelve days a year.
- Sick leave may be granted for illness or injury that prevents the performance of usual duties, death in the immediate family, medical appointments, and illness of a member of the immediate family.
- Sick leave may be used and reported in quarter-hour increments.
- Unused sick leave for twelve month faculty and EHRA non-faculty employees may be accumulated and carried forward from year to year without limit.
- Employees may not be paid for any unused accumulated sick leave; however, employees may have their unused sick leave credited toward years of service upon retirement.
- Employees who return to nine month faculty appointments and who have accumulated sick leave as an administrator may continue to carry their unused accumulated sick leave and have the unused sick leave credited toward years of service upon their retirement.
- Unused sick leave may not be counted toward eligibility for early retirement, disability retirement, or for a vested deferred allowance (1985, N.C. Senate, Bill 1 Appropriations, Section 193); however, employees may use their sick leave to complete 30 years of service regardless of age. Interpretation of the regulations and additional information concerning sick leave may be obtained from Human Resources.
Faculty members on non-leave earning appointments who experience an extended illness, disability, or a family member’s extended illness may request paid leave in accordance with policy.