SHRA Temporary Recruitment
Hiring SHRA Temporary Staff via Human Resources
Initiating the Process
Hiring Managers must complete the SHRA/EHRA Temporary New Hire Request Form and submit via email to Cati Munoz Caruthers (email@example.com) in Human Resources to confirm the classification, band and hourly range approval for each hire.
A hiring range will be provided until a final candidate is identified from the eHire temporary pool.
Minimum Hiring Range
Hiring ranges are in guidance with Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) Salary Scheduled. The range is appropriate of the temporary pooled position as posted in eHire.
HR Approval Process
The hiring manager will receive an email from Human Resources listing the appropriate job classification based on the provided job description and the hourly rate or rate range in accordance to the Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) salary table for salary grade/band.
The hiring manager is allowed to request a different rate by submitting a written justification.
HR will provide an email response if approved or denied.
Candidate Selection Process
Human Resources maintains various eHire Temporary Pooled positions that can be used in filling SHRA temporary assignments. The hiring manager may select a candidate via three options:
eHire Temporary Pool:
The hiring manager may request to review the applicants in the eHire Temporary Pool as related to the confirm job classification.
Hiring managers that wish to review applicants in the SHRA Temporary Pool must request a eHire Guest User Name and Password from Cati Munoz Caruthers (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Human Resources.
Human Resources Referral from eHire Temporary Pool:
The hiring manager may request HR to referral a qualified candidate for hire.
The hiring manager conducts the interviews and extends the offers of employment for SHRA temporary assignments.
Candidates must meet the state minimum training and experience qualifications for the job classification.
UNCG enrolled students (undergraduate and graduate) and permanent employees are ineligible for SHRA temporary employment.
Extending and Offer of Employment
An offer of employment may be extended with the contingency of the receipt of a satisfactory background check.
All hires for temporary staff employment are required to complete the background check process.
Completion of the Background Check Process
When an offer of employment is accepted, the hiring manager MUST fully complete and submit the Departmental Request for Background Check Authorization form electronically.
Temporary SHRA employees are NOT allowed to begin work without notification from Human Resources that a background check has been successfully processed without an adverse impact on employment.
Completion of the Hiring Process (for Hiring Manager/Department)
Upon notification of the satisfactory background check, the hiring manager must complete and submit the following to Human Resources:
- A prepared EAF-BTNR (.doc) for the temporary new hire without an established University ID number.
Note: If the temporary new hire has an established University ID number, complete EPAF: SHRA Temp Hourly Hire, TEMPHR or SHRA Temp Hourly Hire, C&G, TMPHHC.
- A signed original eHire employment application for the temporary employee.
Note: The temporary employee can visit the eHire page and create an online application.
Completion of the Hiring Process (for SHRA Temporary Employee)
The temporary employee is required to visit Human Resources on or before the established first day of work to complete the Form I-9.
The employee must bring original acceptable documentation for identity and employment authorization to present during this visit.
Employees moving from student employment to temporary staff employment are required to complete a new Form I-9 with Human Resources.
The temporary employee must complete and submit the required tax documents and direct deposit forms to the Payroll Office.
How to Extend an SHRA Temp Job Assignment
An SHRA temporary job assignment can be extended for periods that do not exceed the twelve (12) consecutive months of work time. Extensions that exceed such period is not allowed without a thirty-two (32) day break.
To Extend the Assignment with no changes to the current classification, FTE hours per week, and/or hourly pay rate:
- Submit EPAF prior to the current date of the assignment: SHRA Temp Hourly Reactivate, TMPHHC or SHRA Temp Hourly Reactivate, C&G, TMPREC.
- To extend the assignment with a request for change to the classification, FTE hours per week, and/or hourly pay rate, please contact Cati Munoz Caruthers in Human Resources at 336.334.5009 or via email at email@example.com.
How to Rehire a SHRA Temp Employee
Hiring managers that wish to rehire a SHRA temporary employee that has had a break in service from the University; to include, the required thirty-two (32) day break should follow the below guidelines:
- Requesting to rehire with no change to prior approved classification, FTE hours per week, and/or hourly pay rate must complete and submit the appropriate reactivate EPAF: SHRA Temp Hourly Reactivate, TMPHHC or SHRA Temp Hourly Reactivate, C&G, TMPREC.
- Requesting to rehire with a change to the prior approved classification, FTE hours per week, and/or hourly pay rate, must communicate with Human Resources to initiate a new job approval and further instructions. Contact Cati Munoz Caruthers in Human Resources at 336.334.5009 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The SHRA temporary employee being considered must complete and submit a new Departmental Request for Background Check Authorization form for satisfactory clearance before they can begin work at UNCG.
How to Separate a SHRA Temporary Employee
Hiring departments that wish to separate a SHRA temporary employee prior to the established assignment end date should send an email notification to HR Operations at email@example.com.
The email should include the following information:
- Employee’s Name
- University ID Number
- Position Number and Suffix (ex. T99996 00)
- Expected Last Work Day
- Brief statement outlining reason for early termination
Upon receipt of email notification, Human Resources will delete the original termination date record in Banner on the position and inform the department to submit the EPAF: Faculty/Staff/Student Changing or Terminating Job @ UNCG to enter the new termination record for separation.
Note: In the Comments section of the EPAF, the department must include a brief explanation outlining the reason for early termination.
Important Things to Know
Affordable Healthcare Act (ACA) Insurance Requirements:
- SHRA temporary employees hired to work at least 30 hours per week or 130 hours for three (3) consecutive months must be offered health insurance through our ACA MedCost provider.
- Working a State Retiree more than 29 hours per week may have a negative impact on his/her ability to maintain the State Health Insurance benefit. He or she may become subject to the ACA Medcost Coverage.
Managing Time and Attendance Records:
- SHRA temporary employees are required to complete a UNCG time sheet for each pay period and acquire the supervisor’s signature.
- SHRA temporary employees do not accrue leave.
- SHRA temporary employment does not count towards credited State service time.
SHRA Temporary employees are paid through direct deposit on the last working day of each month.
In accordance with State Statue, SHRA temporary employees who have worked twelve (12) consecutive months (either full or part-time) must take at least a thirty-two (32) calendar day break before beginning or continuing a temporary assignment. Retirees are exempt from this limitation.
In accordance with State Statue, a State Retiree must render no service, including part-time, temporary, substitute, or contractor service, at any time during the first six months immediately following the effective date of retirement.